Thursday, October 06, 2005

Guest Photobogging, Part 4

Ok, so I am not 100% sure on who took these, but I saw this stuff with my own eyes when driving through the 9th ward of New Orleans (if you know, let me know). First off, you'll notice that city buses seem to have been abandoned and left on the sides of the road. I don't know what transpired to have them end up like this, but going through the lower 9th, I saw about 3 buses which look like the driver just up and took off. Perhaps they got flooded out and the drivers needed to be rescued. I don't know. Also, people have created what can very loosely be termed "sidewalk disaster art". When you drive through the 9th ward, you see these assemblages on the median of the road, and at first they look like debris, like everything else. When you get closer, you notice that people put these things together. From what I understand, many of these are now removed, but thankfully someone took these photos for posterity. Honestly, it's a little creepy to see this stuff.
Abandoned bus.
Another one.
The sign reads "Lower 9th R.I.P.". Sad.
"Toxic Art: This exhibition will kill you"

I'm pretty sure that Martha Steward did not sleep there.
Someone broke into the wig store and created this. It's pretty damn eerie to see.
A below-ground pool has been converted to an above-ground pool thanks to Katrina.

2 Comments:

Blogger doctorj2u said...

Tony,
I saw a story on the crosses on local New Orleans TV. It was done by an artist that lives in the lower 9th Ward. He knew it was dead and mourning its loss. They didn't mention the wigs, but I bet he did that also.

10/07/2005 7:17 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Dr. J,

I tend to agree. That's the only neighborhood I've been in where I saw something like that. Everywhere else, "neighborhood art" consisted of those crosses of spray painted search and rescue communications.

A guy I talked to made a great analogy, he said seeing all of this is like that feeling you get when you look at the Grand Canyon for the first time. You get just as awestruck, except in a negative way.

I was just glad to see so many zeros in the bottom quadrant of the search and rescue X's.

I'll post more pics in the coming days, and I think I'll start adding captions so that folks know what they're looking at.

10/08/2005 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home